We are a part of God’s creation and in constant interaction with the earth. During the Lenten season, the Care for Our Common Home team requests that you prayerfully consider FASTING from one, several, or all of these:
- The use/acceptance (at stores) of plastic bags.
- Idling your vehicle’s engine.
- Use of disposables at home. Use cloth napkins or dishcloths instead of paper towels and paper napkins.
- Unnecessary use of electricity. Unplug your appliances that are off and chargers that are not in use; place computers, radios, and TVs on a power strip and turn it off between uses.
- Hot water laundry loads and using your dryer. Wash laundry in cold water and hang it to dry to save energy and money. Read more here (bit.ly/1ywwfXQ).
- Unnecessary driving. Could you combine two trips? Carpool, bike, walk, or take public transit.
- Using your dishwasher or run it only when full. Skip theenergy intensive drying cycle. Just open the door to dry.
- Unnecessary use of water. Turn off water when brushing your teeth, take shorter showers, decline water at restaurants unless you are going to drink it, use the water you are going to throw down the drain to water indoor & outdoor plants, etc.
- “This, rather, is the fasting that I wish.”- Reflect on Isaiah 58:1-9 and how eating less meat may be a way to fast as the Lord desires. Read more here (bit.ly/2iX9w9i).